kernel startup

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Sat Feb 11 11:08:58 EST 2006

In message <4A062D477D842B4C8FC48EA5AF2D41F201BA207A at us-bv-m23.global.tektronix.net> you wrote:

> >>How would something compressed uncompress itself?  If u-boot is being used
> >>it will uncompress a compressed kernel and put the image at physical 0.
>
> Small correction. Just like a self extracting binary, a kernel can have
> a decompression code prepended to the start of kernel which can decompress the
> Kernel.  This is how redboot for xscale is structured or syslinux /lilo

No, this is not the kernel,  but  some  additional  component,  often
called "bootstrap loader" or so, which wraps the kernel as payload in
it's own image.

> Now, whether cache is enable or not, MMU is enabled/disabled depends on the
> Developer. In current u-boot, the MMU is not used. I-Cache is On and D-cache
> is off.

This may be correct on  some  specific  boards,  but  it's  wrong  on
others.

Best regards,

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
The existence of god implies a violation of causality.