Gdb with MPC85xx

Kumar Gala galak at kernel.crashing.org
Sat Feb 4 05:40:16 EST 2006

On Fri, 3 Feb 2006, Fahd Abidi wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am wondering if someone here is using GDB to debug code on an 85xx
> platform with the BDI. I have been running into several issues with GDB
> 5.x and 6.x where the E500 core does not seem to either step properly to
> the next line of code in the kernel or uboot or gets lost altogether.
> Each version of GDB seems to have its own set of bugs. If someone has
> been using a version of GDB that works pretty well then let me know what
> version it is and I can try and download it and build it and see if it
> behaves better.

Are you able to get the registers in GDB properly?  The e500 introduces a
different GDB register protocol than standard PPC.  This either requires
the latest GDB and possibly BDI firmware.  I forget how BDI handles the
different protocol layouts.  I'm pretty sure they added support for "full
e500 GDB" recently.

You also, have to build u-boot and your kernel to handle the quicky debug
support on 85xx.

- kumar