reboot problem with MPC8248 based board

Jeff Angielski jeff at theptrgroup.com
Sat Dec 9 12:47:13 EST 2006

On Fri, 2006-12-08 at 17:25 -0800, Jianlin Zeng wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a MPC8248 based board running with linux kernel
> 2.6.11. I mounted jffs2 FS on a NOR flash devices. The
> jffs2 FS works fine. But whenever I modify any files
> in jffs2 FS and soft reboot the board, the reboot
> hangs. If I don't modify any files in jffs2 FS and
> just do flashcp to mtd char device, the soft reboot
> works fine.
>
> I tried doing "reboot" through "m8260_gorom" or a
> mechanism similar to what is used in u-boot. The
> result is the same. I don't understand why jffs2 write
> causes reboot to hang but MTD char device write does
> not. Does anybody have similar experience? Can anybody
> give me some help?
>
> Thanks,
> Jianlin

I have seen strange reboot behavior like this when the flash chips were
left in write mode.  After reboot, you are unable to read the flash and
the system just hangs.

In 2.4 days, we solved this with a reboot_notifier that just went
through the sectors and reset them back to read mode.

Not sure if that helps but at least it gives you something to look into.

--
Jeff Angielski
The PTR Group