How to boot powerPC linux-2.6.10 from diifferent address other than 0x0000

Reddy Suneel-ASR125 suneel.reddy at motorola.com
Fri Aug 25 22:45:47 EST 2006

Hi,
    We are working on MPC 8540, Linux kernel version is 2.6.10 from
Montavista. The bootloader used in Uboot and currently it loads the
uImage at physical memory address 0x0 and transfers control to it. We
want to load the kernel at a different address say 0x8000 and for this
we made the following changes.

1) Altered the Makefile to linked the kernel at virtual address
0xc0008000 ( the default was 0xc000:0000)
2) Modified Uboot to load kernel at 0x8000 instead of 0x0
The kernel space still starts from 0xc000:0000

When we transferred control to the kernel (loaded at 0x8000) we found
that the execution proceeds only till the mapping and invalidation on
TLBs. We do not know where the control goes after this as the further
instructions does not seems to get executed. Currently we do not have
the provision to connect a debugger and hence we are unable to make out
what is happening.

Can some one give us any clue as to what we might have done wrong? This
is our first experience on PowerPC.

Thanks&regards
Suneel