Problems dynamically linking busybox with ppc libs.

Keith Redfern keith.redfern at uk.flextronics.com
Thu Aug 17 21:29:33 EST 2006

I have just realised that I was barking up the wrong tree in regard to

this issue.

My problem turned out not to be a issue with compiling/linking Busybox

but that my target was using different libraries to what was specified

in my ELDK. I am a newbie to embedded Linux and now understand that this

is a fundamental step in getting a working system.

My confusion came about as my ELDK is not a standard ELDK but came as a

BSP from Embedded Planet 852T. Embedded Planet supply a pre-formed

ramdisk image with libraries, Busybox executable, initialisation scripts

etc.

Any executables supplied in this pre-formed ram disk worked fine. An

initial test of the system showed that Busybox worked fine.

They have scripts that reverse engineer this to a folder and suggest

just making additions/modifications to this folder and then run another

script to create a new RAM disk image.

I didn't see Busybox packaged with the BSP so I downloaded v1.1.3 from

the web and started working with it, using the ELDK to build. After this

it didn't work. I have now figured out that any new executables built

using the ELDK don't work as they are referencing different versions of

the libraries. The pre-formed busybox worked fine as it was built

referencing the libraries in the also pre-formed library directory.

I don't know why Embedded Planet would have different library versions

in the pre-formed library directory and the ELDK! Maybe there to trick

newbies!

Doing a standard Busybox 'make' with no modifications to the make files

and aligning the target libraries with that provided as part of the ELDK

solved the problem.

Thanks for help on this ......... Keith.