U-Boot and kernel 2.6

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Aug 1 17:10:31 EST 2006

In message <eamnsh$v4b$1 at sea.gmane.org> you wrote:

> I would recommend not to try old versions of U-Boot ("from 2.4") with new
> linux kernels ("2.6").
> We had some troubles with invalid memory mappings in this configuration.

It is of course always a good idea to use  the  latest  and  greatest
versions  of  the software, but U-Boot is a boot loader, and it has a
clearly defined interface to the kernel  -  and  great  attempts  are
being  made  to  keep  this  interface  unchanged  or, if changes are
necessary, to perform them in a way that stays compatible.

I see no reason why even old versions of U-Boot could cause  problems
with  recent Linux kernels. Actually I have seen very old versions of
U-Boot (like U-Boot-0.3.x) seen in production use with recent  kernel
versions.

In your case it was probably a bug that had been fixed,  but  not  an
incompatibility with current kernels.

Best regards,

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
panic: can't find /