Xilinx Virtex-2 PRO FPGA ppc 405 on ML310 board

Vincent Winstead vwinstead at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 26 08:21:06 EST 2006

Ok, so all that worked - it WAS necessary to choose  "[*] Default all settings (lose changes)" in order for it to work though.  Without this option checked I needed to add information and variables and constants and definitions that were not added into necessary files after make menuconfig and make dep were completed.
   But I still have nothing working with the ML310 board.  I did a "dow image.elf" at the XMD command prompt, then "con" and it showed up with a "RUNNING>" prompt, but nothing showed up on the hyperterminal window.  I compiled using 115200 baud and I changed my hyperterminal to match this, but nothing shows up ...at all.  Where do you think I would need to start looking to resolve this issue?

 -Vincent

Aidan Williams <aidan at nicta.com.au> wrote:
After generating a new auto-config.in using the BSP,
you'll need to:

   0. put new auto-config.in into kernel directory
      linux-2.4.x/arch/ppc/platforms/xilinx_auto

   1. change to the top uClinux-dist directory
      (*NOT* the kernel directory)

   2. In "Vendor/Product Selection  --->"
      Choose "Xilinx"
      Choose "powerpc-auto"

   3. In "Kernel/Library/Defaults Selection  --->"
      Choose linux-2.4.x as your kernel, making sure that
      this is a symlink to or copy of the linuxppc-2.4
      tarball from UQ.

   4. In "Kernel/Library/Defaults Selection  --->"
      Choose "[*] Default all settings (lose changes)"

   5. Save and quit..

This process will pull in default Xilinx/powerpc config
files from vendors/Xilinx/powerpc-auto/config.*
for the kernel and for other uClinux components.

It will also generate a new linux-2.4.x/.config
based on your auto-config.in and the defaults
in vendors/Xilinx/powerpc-auto/config.linux-2.4.x.

btw, I don't have an ML310 board.  I have however gotten
the UQ kernel + uclinux to work on a v2pro FF1152 board
and a virtex-4 FX-12 minimodule.

another btw, the linuxppc-2.4 code has an auto-config.in
inside it which, if you follow the above steps (without
doing step 0), should compile.  The supplied auto-config.in
won't match your board, but it should at least compile.

- aidan