Rebuilding FS MDS 8349 BSP & JFFS2 integration

Krawczuk, Victor Victor.Krawczuk at gdcanada.com
Tue Apr 25 07:30:48 EST 2006

Hi,

I am a newbie to Linux but not to embedded PPC. I was hoping someone
could point me to the direction here. I apologize in advance if this is
kindergarten stuff.

I downloaded the MDS-8349 Linux BSP from FreeScale. I was able to burn
the default prebuilt images "uboot" and "jffs2.img" to my MDS-8349 (PB)
board and have uboot tftp the prebuilt "uImage" to my PB. I used
"tftpboot 200000 uImage" to download and "bootm" to boot.  As per
included instructions, I had "setenv bootargs root=/dev/mtdblock1
rootfstype=jffs2 rw console=ttyS0,115200" in uboot, followed by a
"saveenv". The prebuilt Linux (uImage) came up, no problem.

As I need to include USB Host support to the PPC kernel, I used the ltib
tool to reconfigure and rebuild Linux, as well as a matching jffs2 (I
would think). Ltib produced vmlinux.gz.uboot and rootfs.jffs2 for me.
For some reason, rootfs.jffs2 was significantly smaller than the
prebuilt "jffs2.img" (2483184 bytes vs. 4325376 bytes). I'm not sure
why. I then did the following:

bootargs is still set to "root=/dev/mtdblock1 rootfstype=jffs2 rw
console=ttyS0,115200"  in uboot:

Using the same (prebuilt) uboot as before:

- tftpboot 400000 rootfs.jffs2 (rebuilt jffs2)
- erase fe020000 fe5fffff
- cp.b 400000 fe020000 25e3f0

- tftpboot 200000 vmlinux.gz.uboot (rebuilt Linux containing USB Host
stuff)
- bootm

Linux could not boot!  I got the following root FS error:

[stuff deleted...]
io scheduler deadline registered
io scheduler cfq registered
RAMDISK driver initialized: 16 RAM disks of 32768K size 1024 blocksize
loop: loaded (max 8 devices)
eth0: Gianfar Ethernet Controller Version 1.1, 00:04:9f:00:2d:b7
eth0: Running with NAPI disabled
eth0: 64/64 RX/TX BD ring size
eth1: Gianfar Ethernet Controller Version 1.1, 00:04:9f:00:2d:b8
eth1: Running with NAPI disabled
eth1: 64/64 RX/TX BD ring size
i2c /dev entries driver
NET: Registered protocol family 2
IP: routing cache hash table of 2048 buckets, 16Kbytes
TCP established hash table entries: 16384 (order: 5, 131072 bytes)
TCP bind hash table entries: 16384 (order: 4, 65536 bytes)
NET: Registered protocol family 1
NET: Registered protocol family 17
Root-NFS: No NFS server available, giving up.
VFS: Unable to mount root fs via NFS, trying floppy.
VFS: Cannot open root device "mtdblock1" or unknown-block(2,0)
Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on
unknown-block(2,0)
 <0>Rebooting in 180 seconds..

Would anybody happen to know what is going wrong?  How am I supposed to
know the correct "root=" boot option for a rebuilt jffs2 using LTIB, if
that is my problem?

Thanks in advance for any hints,

Victor.

The information contained in this e-mail message is PRIVATE. It may contain confidential information and may be legally privileged. It is intended for the exclusive use of the addressee(s). If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or reproduction of this communication is strictly prohibited. If the intended recipient(s) cannot be reached or if a transmission problem has occurred, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and destroy all copies of this message.
Thank you.