Upgrading cramfs root file system while running (DENX wrote that is not possible)

Tolunay Orkun listmember at orkun.us
Sun Apr 23 04:50:26 EST 2006

Wolfgang Denk wrote:
> In message <44485B3F.8080308 at orkun.us> you wrote:
>
>> If your bootloader is U-Boot and you are using standard bootm command to
>> boot, U-Boot decompresses the initrd image to RAM before passing the
>> file system to Linux. So, you are not working with flash copy and
>> updating the flash copy is not a problem at all. This applies to ext2,
>> cramfs or squashfs based initrd.
>>

> But it makes no sense to use cramfs or squashfs on a ramdisk.
> You *want* to run these directly from flash.
> But then, of course, you need alternate images (or other tricks)
> for full image updates.

Well, we lose a couple of MB of RAM but squashfs as initrd has been
reliable, very compact and since the file system is in RAM, it is faster
and we can tune a bit for smaller cache etc.

Image updates have been extremely easy as a result, we did not need to
resort to alternate images and other tricks as a result. If you have
more flexibility in RAM than in flash, our approach makes sense without
complicating the matter much. I understand that not everyone might have
this option.
> [Single file updates can be done using overlay file systems; see  the
> DULG for details.]
I know about the overlay fs. There is also unionfs that works similarly.

Best regards,
Tolunay