Which PHY connection to use on MPC8541...

Andy Fleming afleming at freescale.com
Wed Oct 12 04:05:46 EST 2005

On Oct 11, 2005, at 05:57, Stefan Nickl wrote:

> Hi,
>
> about a year ago we resorted to using port pin MDIO in this situation
> for the FCCs because the fcc_enet driver and the gianfar driver live
> in separate worlds, so to speak.
>
> But in the meantime, Andy Fleming was very active regarding the PHY
> abstraction layer. I still haven't seen patches that migrate fcc_enet
> to using this layer, but the gianfar driver seems to use this code
> now.

The work to migrate the new fs_enet driver to use the TSEC MDIO is in
progress.  I have a few other things I'm working on right now, and
I've been having some hardware issues, but I've already done most of
the work to get the FCC to use the TSEC's MDIO bus.

> So I'd say quick solution: use TSEC1 MDIO for TSECs and cpm port pins
> for FCC, clean solution: change fcc_enet to use the PHY abstraction
> layer.

I'd say it depends on how long until your hardware is ready.  You
might want to wire up the cpm IO pins, just in case.  I have yet to
actually get the fs_enet driver to send packets on the 8560, so
there's no telling how long it will be before that driver works on 8541.

Andy