CPM2 early console

Kalle Pokki kalle.pokki at iki.fi
Mon Oct 3 17:04:15 EST 2005

Dan Malek wrote:

> What about just trying to boot the new kernel from PlanetCore boot rom?

I do use PlanetCore to boot the system. Basically the only funtionality
in my own custom boot loader with this board is to carry the image of
the Linux kernel, decompress, and launch it. I have disabled all the
initialisation code since it was previously written for another board,
and PlanetCore does all the initialisations anyway. I didn't care to
erase PlanetCore from the flash just yet, since I can just as well
develop the real initialisations later with the custom board.

PlanetCore itself is not usable for booting any other Linux kernel than
the pre-installed one. It just allows me to launch some launcher of the
Linux kernel... Probably it's the launcher that does the tricks to make
Linux run correctly.

> Of course, if you are doing your own boot rom and have a board to
> bring up,
> you should have invested in something like a BDI2000 long ago because
> it will
> have paid for itself many times over by the time you are done :-)  It
> would have
> also allowed you to debug this problem rather quickly.

You are right, this would be a lot easier with a good debugger. I just
have delayed purchasing it since I wasn't previously sure if we'd use
the PowerQUICC II family or not. I already have Lauterbach for 8xx, but
the Linux community seems to prefer the BDI2000. Do you know if it fits
better in Linux development? At least it seems to be a lot less
expensive than a new Lautherbach license for the 82xx family.