Problem running kernel 2.6.14 (DENX) on MPC866

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Nov 29 19:08:54 EST 2005

In message <200511290147.05220.gil-ad at myrealbox.com> you wrote:

> I load linux from u-boot, and manage to go all the way until the call to cpu_idle() from rest_init().
> The system claims mounts a root file system over NFS. Sniffer logs and host logs support this claim.
> If I do a while ( 1 ) printk( whatever ), just before cpu_idle(), the system continues to run.
> If I let it call cpu_idle(), the system hangs.

For 8xx you could / should use the kernel.org tree. We don't use  2.6
on 8xx yet.

> U-Boot 1.1.3 (Nov 22 2005 - 00:26:43)
>
> CPU:   unknown MPC86x (0x08010004) at 133 MHz: 16 kB I-Cache 8 kB D-Cache FEC present
>          *** Warning: CPU Core has Silicon Bugs -- Check the Errata ***

You should fix this.

> Monitor Command Prompt:>setenv gatewayip 10.0.0.138;setenv ethaddr 00:01:02:03:04:05; setenv console ttyCPM0,38400n8; setenv

You use an illegal MAC address; please read the FAQ, especially
http://www.denx.de/wiki/view/DULG/EthernetDoesNotWork  and
http://www.denx.de/wiki/view/DULG/WhereCanIGetAValidMACAddress

Best regards,

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
How many seconds are there in a year? If I tell you there are 3.155 x
10^7, you won't even try to remember it. On the other hand, who could
forget that, to within half a percent, pi seconds is  a  nanocentury.
                                               -- Tom Duff, Bell Labs