Linux on MPC8541 and MPC8560

Kumar Gala galak at kernel.crashing.org
Wed Nov 23 17:09:47 EST 2005

On Nov 22, 2005, at 11:37 PM, le tang wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I got questions on developing the linux on MPC8560 and
> MPC8541.
>
> 1) Which version of linux would be best suited for
> these two processors?

2.6.14 is a good starting point.  Older 2.6 kernels have support for
MPC8540/MPC8560, I forget when we introduced it.

> 2) Can I make model these two processor accurately
> with device trees on the PSIM?

Extremely unlikely. While I think PSIM has some support for e500 I
dont think it handles anything close enough to boot linux.

> 3) I have cross compiled gcc with target as
> powerpc-eabi option, and I am using
> powerpc-eabi-objdump to disassemble a pre-compiled
> code, I have tried use -M e500 options, but not sure
> if that would give a very accurate assemly listing.

It should be. The kernel is build with -me500 being passed to the
assembler. for the majority of code it doesn't matter.  it will
mainly get proper decode of m{t,f}spr instructions and a few other
things.

- kumar