36-bit phys & 64-bit pte support

Kumar Gala kumar.gala at freescale.com
Thu Mar 31 03:58:41 EST 2005

Matt,

It looks like you introduced two config options at one point, however
they dont seem to be used consitently today.  I wanted to clarify the
meaning that I'm going to try and go forward with:

CONFIG_PTE_64BIT - we have a 64-bit PTE
CONFIG_PHYS_64BIT - we have larger than 32-bit physical addresses

Its feasible to have support for CONFIG_PTE_64BIT while only supporting
32-bit phys.  The intent would be if you needed more flags than you
could handle in the 12 LSBs of the pte.

CONFIG_PHYS_64BIT will only effect things like ioremap, phys_addr_t,
etc.

Do you agree with this interpretation?

- kumar