KGDB on BookE

Prosun Niyogi pniyogi at us.ibm.com
Mon Jun 13 23:45:53 EST 2005

I've grabbed latest kernel.org kernel (2.6.11.11) to attempt to get a
working kgdb on my ebony setup. Checking the mailing list archives, it
seems as if all the 4xx specific kgdb patches have been merged with
kernel.org. Is this the case? If so, I have a problem single stepping
using kgdb. The debugger_sstep(regs) function is never called from
traps.c. So, as of right now.. I can only set/hit an arbitrary breakpoint
(for my testing, I've been setting a breakpoint at sys_sync). After
setting the breakpoint and continuing from the initial kgdb entry point,
gdb successfully catches the breakpoint at sys_sync, but when I attempt to
step, the kernel continues normal operation, and subsequent attempts at
breaking into gdb control by issuing a "sync" command on the ebony
terminal in minicom do not hit the breakpoint. Any pointers/suggestions as
to where I can obtain a working kgdb-enabled kernel for the ebony board?
Any assistance would be helpful.

Thanks.

Prosun Niyogi
Software Engineer