MPC8540 DMA routines (channel 0 broken?)

Clemens Koller clemens.koller at anagramm.de
Tue Jul 19 01:44:32 EST 2005

Hello, Stephane!

>>In the meanwhile, I got channel 0 working. It seems
>>that the DMA#0 machine got stuck in some configuration from any
>>previous (u-boot?) operation which didn't clean up things
>>properly. I had to explicitly abort a (continously running?)
>>transfer to be able to re-program it in the way I need.
>
> Are you using a BDI2000?

Nope.

> Some init mode uses the DMA#0 for memory zeroing (see your .cfg file).
> Also the DDR ECC U-boot code may use the DMA#0.
> Isn't it possible to reset the DMA#0 from Linux?

Thank you! Yes, that's true! <ACK>

I've checked the U-Boot code, today. The problem comes up when
U-Boot is built with CONFIG_DDR_ECC.
The DMA #0 is used to initialize the DDR prior enabling ECC.
Maybe the DMA doesn't get cleaned up properly.
(I'll have to re-check the registers).

But I can get my mpc85xx_dma "driver" working now.
However I cannot disable ECC when I am in Linux for testing
yet. :-]
I'll need to customize U-Boot without ECC because I don't want
to use it due to performance issues anyway.
But that's getting OT here.

Greets,

Clemens Koller
R&D Imaging Devices