mpc8xx and ld.so problem

Theo Gjaltema gjalt007 at chello.nl
Thu Jul 14 07:32:17 EST 2005

Wolfgang Denk schreef:

>In message <42D5361B.2070402 at chello.nl> you wrote:
>

>>It appeard that on my mpc862 target I had also this problem. I am using
>>ELDK3.1.1 which includes a 2.4.25 kernel.
>>

>No, most definitely not.

I don't understand this, on
/pub/Linux/distributions/eldk/3.1.1/ppc-linux-x86/distribution/common
there are the sources of a 2.4.25 kernel.

>>    Large application (20MB c++, mostly shared-libs) crashes (sigseg) at
>>startup BEFORE main() is called.
>>    Attempts to debug the application also fail: the debugger crashes
>>also (sigseg).
>>

>I bet that this is a FAQ. Your SDRAM initialization is broken.

This was one of my guesses also. Since this is beyond my knowledge, I
had the parametes initialisation parameters compared to an other
platform which did not had the problems (rtos based), the same
parameters were used. I did not investigate it any further.

>>I didn't change the C-lib, I took the 2.4.30/arch/ppc/kernel/head_8xx.S
>>file and copied this over the 2.4.25 head_8xx.S file.
>>In the 2.4.30 version there is a piece of code mentioning the dcbX
>>instruction problems.
>>

>And did this fix the problem completely? I would be a bit surprised.

No problem since.

>>This driver causes the CPM sometimes to hang when performing a memset,
>>can this be caused by the same problem?
>>

>Yes. When your SDRAM init is broken, strange things will happen.

I'll try the kernel with the original atm/utopia to see what happens.

>Best regards,
>
>Wolfgang Denk

Thanks,
    Theo Gjaltema.