2.6.12-rc2 netconsole problem

Sam Song samlinuxppc at yahoo.com.cn
Wed Jul 6 19:34:36 EST 2005

Tom Rini <trini at kernel.crashing.org> wrote:
> > > [snip]
> > > Nope, that's how netconsole works, it's not
> > > interactive (like console is
> > > after init is spawned).
> >
> > Not interactive? I meant to use netconsole to
> > repalce the mointor serial console. Meanwhile, I
> > implemented netconsole on the target in u-boot
> > and it did get a interactive console. Maybe I can
> > try telnet after netconsole to get a net console
> > in Linux? Sound a little bit complicated than
> > what I thought:-)
>
> So netconsole is a write-only kernel console.
> Kernel messages will go out, but your init process,
> etc will not.  For syslog type things, you
> may want to look into a syslogd that does network.
> I don't know how netconsole support in u-boot
> works, but it sounds like it's a network
> aware application that you can telnet into, rather
> than Linux's netconsole.

OK. I get it. The netconsole in kernel is different
from the one implemented in u-boot. The u-boot
netconsole is a interactive console whereas kernel
netconsole is just a simulated one after booting up.
No wawnder I need to wait 6-8 seconds to get the
network output after loading kernel.

Thanks so much for your clarification,

Sam