2.6.12-rc2 netconsole problem

Tom Rini trini at kernel.crashing.org
Wed Jul 6 15:11:39 EST 2005

On Wed, Jul 06, 2005 at 12:10:38PM +0800, Sam Song wrote:
> Tom Rini <trini at kernel.crashing.org> wrote:
> > [snip]
> > > OK, it just stoped before init process. Is there
> > > any necessary to fix sth on RAMDISK like add
> > > netconsole device node?
> >
> > Nope, that's how netconsole works, it's not
> > interactive (like console is
> > after init is spawned).
>
> Not interactive? I meant to use netconsole to repalce
> the mointor serial console. Meanwhile, I implemented
> netconsole on the target in u-boot and it did get a
> interactive console. Maybe I can try telnet after
> netconsole to get a net console in Linux? Sound a
> little bit complicated than what I thought:-)

So netconsole is a write-only kernel console.  Kernel messages will go
out, but your init process, etc will not.  For syslog type things, you
may want to look into a syslogd that does network.  I don't know how
netconsole support in u-boot works, but it sounds like it's a network
aware application that you can telnet into, rather than Linux's
netconsole.

--
Tom Rini
http://gate.crashing.org/~trini/