mpc8xx and ld.so problem

Yuli Barcohen yuli at arabellasw.com
Mon Jul 4 18:22:14 EST 2005

[...deleted...]

    Jason> Ha. Funny. The glibc powerpc maintainer doesn't want any
    Jason> embedded fixes in the mainline. Last I checked, that was for
    Jason> 'the tools vendors' to fix.

    Jason> "We won't work around processor bugs" is their philosophy.

[...deleted...]

I investigated the problem a bit when I had trouble with a self-compiled
glibc a year or so ago. IIRC, I found bug in the memset code, not in the
chip. The code was just wrong for cache line sizes not equal to 32. So
memset.S is good for 60x series (PQII included) but for 8xx it fails. We
use dcbX instructions in some kernel drivers and since we never had any
problems with those drivers I'm a bit surprised to hear that all 8xx
chips have got that bug.