Kernel booting issues on a MPC8270 board

annamaya annamaya at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 25 09:42:01 EST 2005

I finally figured out my problem had to do with the
fact that my MPC8270 processor was not supported in
the cpu table. I was able to find the definition for
82xx, HiP7 603e entry for CPU table in the 2.4.24 from
denx and copied that table into the cpu table of the
MVista kernel. Otherwise, the cpu_spec[] structure was
defaulting to some entry that set the
CPU_FTR_HPTE_TABLE option in the cpu_spec which
resulted in execution of some code in
cacheable_memzero() routine that resulted in resetting
my CPU and my board.

Sorry for all the noise but I thought I should share
my debug experience here since someone else might go
through this trying to run MVista kernel on a HiP7
82xx processor.

And for the record, the kernel from denx works great.
I was just trying to figure out why the MVista one
wasn't working.

Thanks for everyone's input on this.