Incomplete network configuration information when booting from NFS root on Ebony

Shawn Jin shawnxjin at gmail.com
Thu Feb 17 03:59:02 EST 2005

> > Is anybody using linux-2.6.10 from kernel.org for testing IBM Ebony board?
>
> Yes, with stock boot loader and great success (bootp + NFS root). I
> just use "ip=on root=/dev/nfs" and let my bootp server tell the kernel
> about all other parameters.

What's your boot loader? I should ask if anybody has successful story
on using uboot to boot 2.6.10 to test Ebony board.

> Did you try looking at net/ipv4/ipconfig.c? This is file responsible
> for this message.

Yes. I did find the comment you pointed and thought it might be a
problem. But another issue I don't understand is why it cannot fetch
MAC addresses from VPD? Without my hack the MAC addresses fetched from
VPD are all FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF. The Rom Monitor can detect the
addresses, which I guess are from VPD.

> /*
> * If the config information is insufficient (e.g., our IP address or
> * IP address of the boot server is missing or we have multiple network
> * interfaces and no default was set), use BOOTP or RARP to get the
> * missing values.
> */
>
> Probably your case - multiple ethernet devices (440GX has 4) and
> you haven't specified which device should be assigned IP.

Do you know how to set a default active device?

Thanks,
-Shawn.