Incomplete network configuration information when booting from NFS root on Ebony

Eugene Surovegin ebs at ebshome.net
Wed Feb 16 13:59:21 EST 2005

On Tue, Feb 15, 2005 at 06:03:12PM -0800, Shawn Jin wrote:
> Is anybody using linux-2.6.10 from kernel.org for testing IBM Ebony board?

Yes, with stock boot loader and great success (bootp + NFS root). I
just use "ip=on root=/dev/nfs" and let my bootp server tell the kernel
about all other parameters.

[snip]

> However a new problem
> occurs. When the kernel tries to mount a NFS root filesystem, it
> complains incomplete network configuration information. See the
> following message dump. Any hints to solve the problem? Thanks a lot.

[snip]

> Kernel command line: root=/dev/nfs rw
> nfsroot=192.68.0.47:/opt/eldk3.1/ppc_4xx
> ip=192.168.0.245:192.168.0.47:::::off

[snip]

> IP-Config: Incomplete network configuration information.

Did you try looking at net/ipv4/ipconfig.c? This is file responsible
for this message.

I think there is relevant comment in ip_auto_config() function:

/*
 * If the config information is insufficient (e.g., our IP address or
 * IP address of the boot server is missing or we have multiple network
 * interfaces and no default was set), use BOOTP or RARP to get the
 * missing values.
 */

Probably your case - multiple ethernet devices (440GX has 4) and
you haven't specified which device should be assigned IP.

--
Eugene