x86 gdb with ppc8xx gdbserver

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Mon Dec 19 07:55:55 EST 2005

Dear Robin,

in message <5b74ec4d0512180714r178223f6ub60df08a7ef78fc9 at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

> But I am not able to compile gdb in x86 for ppc8xx target. Can you please
> point to some source tree of gdb that can be compiled for x86 platform for
> ppc8xx target? I tried with gdb version 6.4 but it does not take

Since you've been successful with the ELDK binaries,  why  not  using
the  ELDK  sources? Either the SRPM from the ELDK source distribution
(which gives you 5.2.1), or from the CVS,  which  has  the  (not  yet
released) ELDK 4.0 code (= 6.3.0)

> --target=ppc8xx option. I think the option that I am using to compile for
> target is not right.

Indeed, it is wrong. There is no such target architecture as "ppc8xx".

Best regards,

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple,  neat,
and wrong.                                           -- H. L. Mencken