Building a Root Filesystem

bennett78 bennett78 at digis.net
Sun Dec 18 05:32:36 EST 2005

Michael Boutte wrote:

> Hi,
> I seem to be stuck at one point in my first embedded Linux project. I
> built a custom MPC875 board and have figured out how to get U-Boot to
> compile and run. Then I learned to compile an initial Linux 2.4.25
> using the ELDK with a basic root filesystem via the "SELF" included in
> the ELDK (thank you WD and others). Now I want to build a new root
> filesystem with the modules included. So then I have used the "make
> modules" and "make ... modules_install" commands plus used the
> procedure in the DULG section 9.6 to unpack the ramdisk image and
> mount it in the /mnt/tmp/ directory.
> That is point where I do not know what to do next. It would seem that
> I need to merge the modules and other items I may want to add (for
> example appWeb) with the simple root filesystem and re-compress it for
> use just like the original ramdisk image. I just do not seem to find
> any information on this process either in the DULG or anywhere else on
> the web.
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm also using Linux 2.4.25 using the ELDK and I would recommend
getting a NFS root file system going first discussed in the following
paper, although written for a MPC5200 is an excellent guideline:

    http://emsys.denayer.wenk.be/emcam/Linux_on_MPC5200_(UK).pdf

Worry about a compressed system later. There is also a script for
building a
small root file system (mkrootfsdenx) from a working reference one and
MTD is the way to go to manage your flash for F/W updates and NVdata store.

happy ELDKing,
Frank Bennett