Building a Root Filesystem

Michael Boutte maboutte at pacbell.net
Sat Dec 17 19:17:54 EST 2005

Hi,
I seem to be stuck at one point in my first embedded Linux project. I
built a custom MPC875 board and have figured out how to get U-Boot to
compile and run. Then I learned to compile an initial Linux 2.4.25 using
the ELDK with a basic root filesystem via the "SELF" included in the
ELDK (thank you WD and others). Now I want to build a new root
filesystem with the modules included. So then I have used the "make
modules" and "make ... modules_install" commands plus used the procedure
in the DULG section 9.6 to unpack the ramdisk image and mount it in the
/mnt/tmp/ directory.
That is point where I do not know what to do next. It would seem that I
need to merge the modules and other items I may want to add (for example
appWeb) with the simple root filesystem and re-compress it for use just
like the original ramdisk image. I just do not seem to find any
information on this process either in the DULG or anywhere else on the web.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mike Boutte