pq2_find_bridges hangs system

Vitaly Bordug vbordug at ru.mvista.com
Wed Dec 14 22:29:34 EST 2005

Alex BASTOS wrote:
> Vitaly,
>
> So, I have arrived to some conclusions.
>
> 1) With my previous kernel version (2.6.11) I had no problems
> because it had CONFIG_PCI_8260 and CONFIG_PPC_INDIRECT_PCI unset.
> So I think no effective read/write operation was executed, and so
> that, no Machine Check.
>
> In fact, this is the configuration I would prefer for my board. I have
> to set CONFIG_PCI for enabling USB, but I don't want all the HW stuff
> of the PCI. I can get these also with 2.6.15 if I modify Kconfig, to
> allow me to unset PCI_8260 (and then PPC_INDIRECT_PCI) for my board.
> With that, the problem dissapears and I can boot 2.6.15.
>
> Shouldn't this (PCI_8260) be visible from xconfig for those like me
> who wants USB (=> CONFIG_PCI) but don't really have any PCI device?

Maybe, but I guess more correct is to deal with USB->PCI dependency..
Is it really needed(I am not USB expert)?
> 2) Although I am using Uboot 1.1.4, it is not top of git. I have
> found your changes to support PCI on 8272ADS for u-boot are not
> still applied on the version i am using. So, could this be causing
> the problem? Is there any configuration done in u-boot required by
> the PCI on the linux kernel to boot (BR3,OR3, EMR, ...)?
>
> I should say that, on ADS, I have an older version of u-boot, 1.1.2,
> and it boots OK.

My changes do not required for kernel to deal with PCI, that patch just allows access to PCI in
U-Boot. Hence I might be useful if you'll head for resolving this issue which I guess unlikely to happen
> 3) I have seen that from u-boot, a reset occurs when I read Internal
> Memory at offset 0x10904 (PCI CFG_DATA). From BDI, when I do the same
> all PCI section on IM becomes zero. Is this a known behaviour? May this
> reflect a hardware problem?

Sounds weird
> In conclusion, 1) solves my "must", a working board (without PCI).
> But I still would like to know what am I doing so wrong with this.

IMHO ability to disable PCI_8260 while PCI is on might be confusing, at least for upstream.

--
Sincerely,
Vitaly