problem during kernel init with mmu_off

Saari, James jsaari at mc.com
Mon Dec 5 09:39:02 EST 2005

I would seem to be in much the same bad place; can you tell my how you
resolved your issue?

problem during kernel init with mmu_off

Stuart Yoder stuart.yoder at conformative.com
<mailto:linuxppc-embedded%40ozlabs.org?Subject=problem%20during%20kernel
%20init%20with%20mmu_off&In-Reply-To=>
Fri Mar 12 01:28:25 EST 2004

<http://ozlabs.org/pipermail/linuxppc-embedded/2004-March/013598.html>
linux
<http://ozlabs.org/pipermail/linuxppc-embedded/2004-March/013592.html>
<http://ozlabs.org/pipermail/linuxppc-embedded/2004-March/date.html#1359
1>  [ thread ]
<http://ozlabs.org/pipermail/linuxppc-embedded/2004-March/thread.html#13
591>  [ subject ]
<http://ozlabs.org/pipermail/linuxppc-embedded/2004-March/subject.html#1
3591>  [ author ]
<http://ozlabs.org/pipermail/linuxppc-embedded/2004-March/author.html#13
591>

  _____

I am trying to boot the 2.4 PPC kernel on a PPC750FX eval board.   The
bootloader in the boards firmware has the mmu _on_ with block addr
translation enabled.  It seems that all the BAT mappings are 1:1.

The kernel source as well as comments in the archive of this mailing
list
indicate that the mmu being on during kernel initialization should not
be an
issue.

However, I've determined through leds and uart that the kernel makes it
the RFI in mmu_off, but from that point goes into never-never land (I
can't
tell exactly what happened).

I've verified that the values in SRR0 and SRR1 are what is expected
prior to
the RFI which is supposed to turn the mmu off.

I also tried using MTMSR instead of RFI to turn the mmu off but the
processor seems to halt at that instruction.

I don't have a jtag debugger (yet) so I'm relying on leds and uart to
debug.
I really have no idea of the state of the chip after the RFI or MTMSR.

Anyone out there have any ideas?   Anything about the 750FX that is
different than other processors?

Thanks,

Stuart Yoder

James E P Saari, Systems Engineer, Defense Electronics Group
Mercury Computer Systems, Inc. http://www.mc.com
<blocked::blocked::blocked::http://www.mc.com/>
1800 Alexander Bell Drive, Suite 100, Reston VA 20191
O: 703-673-2700 800-969-6702 D: 703-673-2717
F: 703-673-2727 800-969-8578
E-Mail mailto:jsaari at mc.com
<blocked::blocked::blocked::mailto:jsaari at mc.com>  (Personal)
mailto:jamesepsaari at cox.net
<blocked::blocked::blocked::mailto:jamesepsaari at cox.net>
Internal: x2717 http://home.mc.com/~jsaari
<blocked::blocked::blocked::http://home.mc.com/~jsaari>
-- [ ] --
Website of the week: http://biz.yahoo.com/special/drucker05.html
"Exploit change as an opportunity, and don't view it as a threat." -
Peter Drucker