strange things about swap on NFS

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Fri Aug 12 17:58:07 EST 2005

In message <A9DE2BAF233E444FA9C5E77A5825A01E86505F at ydmail.sbell.com.cn> you wrote:

>   But I found that the "dd if=/dev/zero of=swapfile bs=1M
> count=62" is not easy to executed:

This command alone should just work fine.

>   The system is often no response after execute this command. On several
> time, it add swap successfully.
>    But  when I start to compile package. The system then no response !!

>From your subject and this description I understand that you then try
to use this file as swapfile over NFS, and this causes problems.

There is a known problem with swap over NFS, at least for 2.4 kernels.

>    How to slove the problem? Is the reason of my hard disk? I think not,

RTFM. A solution is described in detail at
http://www.denx.de/twiki/bin/view/DULG/SwappingOverNFS

Note that this is terribly slow, though - but sometimes  it's  better
to  have  a slow and working system than one which is fast and out of
memory.

Best regards,

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
You can't evaluate a man by logic alone.
	-- McCoy, "I, Mudd", stardate 4513.3