??: Some version different

FCG WANG Baohua Baohua.WANG at alcatel-sbell.com.cn
Wed Aug 10 15:50:45 EST 2005

Dear Denk:
  First I many thanks for your quick reply for my every silly question.  The freeze "transferring control to linux" question is sloved.
  It is the "r3" register data wrong transfer from ppcboot  to kernel. I don't know why. very strange. !!!
  The CONFIG_HD860 cannot be compiled in kernel. I don't know either.  There is no error or warring during config and make.
   I add the init code of bdinfo struct in arch/ppc/kernel/m8xx_setup.c platform_init() function. I filled the stuct  __as list by "bdi" command.
   Then the console can work now.
   But there is another question:
   It always print the "ttyS0 at 0x0280 is on SMC1 using BRGSerial driver version 5.05c (2001-07-08) with no serial options enabled"
                                    or "Serial driver version 5.05c (2001-07-08) with no serial options enabled"

   Then "Oops: kernel access of bad area, sig: 11" and stopped.

  How is the "with no serial options enabled" ? is it need any config with "make menuconfig" ?

-----????-----
???: wd at denx.de [mailto:wd at denx.de]
????: 2005?8?10? 13:25
???: FCG WANG Baohua
??: linuxppc-embedded at ozlabs.org
??: Re: Some version different

In message <A9DE2BAF233E444FA9C5E77A5825A01E86505B at ydmail.sbell.com.cn> you wrote:

>  I want to ask some questions about the different version:
>   1. The linuxppc_2_4_devel   and   the linux-2.4.25.tar.bz2 in ELDK
> 3.1.1 package

THe traball is a snapshot from the linuxppc_2_4_devel CVS  tree  (for
ELDK  3.1.1  the  date  of  the  snapshot  is  2005-03-06  or CVS tag
LABEL_2005_03_06_0100).

>   2.  The ppcboot 0.9.2 compiled with mvstia devrock   and    the
> U-Boot 1.1.2 compiled  with ELDK

PPCBoot 0.9.2 and U-Boot 1.1.2 are about 4 years apart. This is  like
comparing Linux kernel versions 2.0 with 2.6 ....

>   Does the kernel freeze at "transferring control to linux" could be
> these different versions?

Both versions were perfectly  capable  of  booting  a  working  Linux
kernel. I don't know the MV toolchain, but I guess it's working fine,
too.  So my guess is that it's your port of the Linux kernel which is
broken.

>   1 why I configed the kernel with CONFIG_HD860 in "make menuconfig" but
> the code in CONFIG_HD860
>      isn't compiled at all ! What's the perhaps reasons? I checked the

Your port of the Linux kernel is broken.  Probably  you  made  errors
when changing the configure scripts and/or Makefiles.

>    2  How to get board info "struct bd_info" in init/main.c ? I want to
> use printf of bd_t->bi_mon_fnc->printf() to

You cannot do that. It does not work.

>        print some string on console. Does it possible? But the code is
> only in head_8xx.S, How to get the bd* data in

The _res pointer can be used for that; see the existing driver sources.

>        main.c ? Some board use get_board_info(). But how can I use it?

This depends on how your hardware and your port of Linux support such
a feature. I cannot answer such a question.

Best regards,

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
"The POP3 server service depends on the SMTP  server  service,  which
failed to start because of the following error: The operation comple-
ted successfully."                         -- Windows NT Server v3.51