The kernel halt after "transferring control to linux(0x000000)..." on HD860(MPC860SR) board kernel 2.4.25, and 2.6.12

Manish Joshi mjoshi_blr at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 9 06:27:10 EST 2005

Hope you are connecting with right port speed.

Wolfgang Denk <wd at denx.de> wrote:In message you wrote:

> I meet a problem when porting kernel 2.4.25,and 2.6.12 to a HD860
> board: Whatever your config, or whatever you patch, set ppcboot
> enviroment,
> whether use ramdisk or nfs, the kernel all display a message then
> halt.

How do you define "halt"? There is no "halt" instruction in the CPU,
so it must be doing "something".

> The log_buf in Memory display that the kernel has problem at :
>
> 1. /init/main.c calibrate_delay() ;
> 2. /init/main.c do_initcalls() do while dead loop!!
> 3. /init/do_mounts.c mount_root()

Locate the problems and fix them.

> Does it need any patches? thanks!
> The kernel 2.4.25 is from ELDK 3.1.1, 2.6.12.3 is from kernel.org

this kernel works fine on many, many other boards. It's extremely
likely that the problems are caused by your port only.

Best regards,

Software Engineering: Embedded and Realtime Systems, Embedded Linux
Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
A person who is more than casually interested in computers should be
well schooled in machine language, since it is a fundamental part of
a computer. -- Donald Knuth