cross-compiling under cygwin?

Dan Malek dan at embeddededge.com
Sat Apr 9 04:32:44 EST 2005

On Apr 8, 2005, at 10:13 AM, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

>   i've just had a request from a colleague who wants to do all the
> cross-compilation for our 8xx board on a windows box, rather than
> linux.

Just remember there is lots more to building and developing
than compiling a kernel.  In addition to the compiler, you need
lots of support tools.  Once you get a kernel, you have to create
some kind of file system, of course NFS won't work on Windows,
creating a ramdisk without a loopback device and file system
support is quite a challenge, too.

I don't understand why you wouldn't want to develop on a
Linux (or at least Unix) host, since you need those skills
and environment for the target.  Do they just like impossible
challenges in their way to getting real work done? :-)

	-- Dan