cross-compiling under cygwin?

Patrick Huesmann patrick.huesmann at gmail.com
Sat Apr 9 03:57:46 EST 2005

Hi,

Robert P. J. Day wrote:

>  i've just had a request from a colleague who wants to do all the
>cross-compilation for our 8xx board on a windows box, rather than
>linux.
>
>  there was talk of cygwin, and kdevelop as well.  i'm still parsing
>the rest of the email but is there a canonical URL that discusses
>working in the windows environment?

We use colinux (http://www.colinux.org) for that. It's a Linux kernel
that runs as application under windows. It shares networking with the
windows system so you can operate it via telnet or ssh. You can even run
IDEs like kdevelop as remote X application and use the cygwin's X window
system to use the Linux apps under windows.

Before that, we used VMware, but coLinux is free and IMO, it has better
performance because it doesn't have to simulate a whole computer (but
only a small hardware abstraction layer).

It comes with a pre-patched Debian image which gives you a minimal Linux
installation. From there you set up the networking, and simply apt-get
install your apps like you would do with a native Linux box.

HTH,
Patrick