MPC850 and GDB help

Ryan Wilkins ryan at elevated-networks.com
Mon Oct 25 04:07:07 EST 2004

Hello..  I'm very new to embedded systems but want to learn a bit more
by using existing hardware.  In this case, the existing hardware is a
DirectvDSL ADSL modem based on the MPC850 processor.  I've located the
BDM port and built a MPCBDM version 2 interface to communicate with the
MPC850.  The interface works just fine.

What I want to do now is to load the u-boot bootloader onto the board.
What I'm trying to accomplish now is to load the u-boot code into ram
and run it.  I don't have my flash definitions right in MPCBDM yet,
otherwise I'd try to flash it.  I realize that this is not going to be
an easy task, but what better way to learn than to dive right in.  So..
  I'm stumped.  Can anyone provide just a little bit of idea of where to
go from here?  Perhaps a tutorial URL, or some past experience in
working with the 850?

The board has a single 4 Mbyte flash chip (Intel DA28F320J5) and 16
Mbyte RAM.

Thanks,
Ryan Wilkins