Meaning of BSP and LSP

Marius Groeger mgroeger at sysgo.com
Thu Oct 14 18:25:31 EST 2004

On Thu, 14 Oct 2004, Sam Song wrote:

> I'd like to make sure about the meaning of BSP and
> LSP. There is sth unclear in my mind, I am afraid.

>From what I know, the term BSP was coined as an acronym for "Board
Support Package" in pre-Linux days. To me it is most familiar in
conjunction with Embdedded (RT)OSes such as LynxOS, vxWorks, or pSOS
and many others. These systems have a more or less clearly defined BSP
API, meaning that a port to a new platform is a well defined process.

Grossly simplified, the BSP provider must implement a number of
support functions which make hardware resources (interrupts, memory
and so forth) available to the common kernel code. Note also that this
is valid across architectures (PPC, ARM, X86...).

Linux still doesn't really offer something like this. Some people may
argue that things are actually improving, but most people probably
just don't care. The simplest reason I can think of for that is that
there were always enough knowledgable people to do the hard porting
work. Also, obviously, Linux doesn't care for commercial issues such
like wanting to keep the common kernel code closed.

"LSP" is a term introduced by MontaVista, AFAIR, so maybe one of the
MV folks on this list wants to elaborate on this?

Bottom line: BSP is an OS/Vendor specific term to capture the software
components related to a specific board. It is a useful handle in
project discussions, provided that all participants use the same
notion.

Regards,
Marius

--
Marius Groeger <mgroeger at sysgo.com>
SYSGO AG                      Embedded and Real-Time Software