Booting Linux using a PlanetCore BootLoader

annamaya annamaya at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 12 03:50:54 EST 2004

I loaded a zImage into address 0x100000 in RAM and
verified that this was indeed an ELF file. I then said
"go 0x100040" which would start executing the code
after skipping the 64 bytes of ELF header. But this is
what I see happen.

BDI>info
    Target CPU        : MPC8280/8220/5200 (Zeppo)
    Target state      : debug mode
    Debug entry cause : <reserved 0>
    Current PC        : 0x00100040
    Current CR        : 0x20004022
    Current MSR       : 0x00000000
    Current LR        : 0xfff0531c

It looks like address 0x0 is reserved for some weird
reason. When I do a dump of the 0x0 area, it looks
like there is copy of the planetcore bootloader here
since I see some text indicating that. If I dont have
the BDI hooked up, I see an immediate reboot of the
device, consistant with executing the bootloader at
0x0.

Any inputs on why this is happenning? I just
understand the PlanetCore bootloader very well.