fbmem.c compile problem

Frank frannk_m1 at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 30 04:50:45 EST 2004

I am trying to get framebuffer support compiled into the kernel
(2.4.28) before I compile and install directfb, but I am having
a problem I can't seem to solve. I am getting the following
error when I try to compile fb support into the kernel:
/drivers/char/mem.c:747: undefined reference to `fbmem_init'

I have what I think i need enabled in my .config file:

#
# Console drivers
#
CONFIG_VGA_CONSOLE=y
#
# Frame-buffer support
#
CONFIG_FB=y
CONFIG_DUMMY_CONSOLE=y
# CONFIG_FB_VOYAGER is not set
# CONFIG_FB_MB86290 is not set
# CONFIG_FB_RIVA is not set
# CONFIG_FB_CLGEN is not set
# CONFIG_FB_PM2 is not set
# CONFIG_FB_PM3 is not set
# CONFIG_FB_CYBER2000 is not set
# CONFIG_FB_CT65550 is not set
# CONFIG_FB_IMSTT is not set
# CONFIG_FB_S3TRIO is not set
CONFIG_FB_VESA=y
# CONFIG_FB_VGA16 is not set
# CONFIG_FB_LYNX is not set
# CONFIG_FB_SM712 is not set
# CONFIG_FB_MATROX is not set
# CONFIG_FB_ATY is not set
CONFIG_FB_RADEON=y
# CONFIG_FB_ATY128 is not set

Can someone shed some light on why, although I have CONFIG_FB
set
to 'y' the makefile won't compile drivers/video/fbmem.c

I am on a very tight schedule and any help would be greatly
appreciated....