issues with cardbus on mpc5200

Andrew Dennison andrew.dennison at motec.com.au
Fri Nov 26 16:21:25 EST 2004

I'm going through the process of bringing up Linux on our mpc5200 based
hardware.

I have tweaked u-boot to support our board. DDR is working, CFI can
program the flash, irq fixups done for PCI devices and I can boot into an
NFS root filesystem with a DENX kernel, either 2.4.23 (with RTAI patches)
or top of tree 2.4.25.

My problem is cardbus.

If I enable PCMCIA support in u-boot CF cards are correctly detected in
the PCMCIA sockets (haven't tried to boot from them though).

I tweaked Linux drivers/pcmcia/yenta.c to extend the IO port range, same
as seems to have been done to yenta.c in 2.6.x, so IO resources could be
allocated.

Card services detects CF cards and loads ide-cs.o, however it fails the
ide detection.
Cardbus cards cause a TEA.

I've been progressively turning on more debugging as I wade through the
code, and I have a BDI to work with, but that doesn't help much when I
don't completely understand the problem yet:)

>From my googling I know cardbus is supported on PPC, and there appear to
be several embedded PPC systems that have a PCMCIA socket so there
shouldn't be too much I need to do to make it work, however I haven't
managed to find any relevant references... Maybe there's something in the
linuxppc-embedded archives:(

I thought the 5200 support in Linux was doing something unusual, as
_IO_BASE was defined as 0 instead of isa_io_base, however this seems to be
the thing to do for embedded ppc.

Anyone with more experience in this stuff got some ideas of where I should
look? My PCI setup in u-boot and Linux is unchanged from the icecube
reference, so this may be a common problem?

The PCI errata doesn't seem to be relevant to what I'm experiencing as the
controllers are actually being detected, unlike my cardbus PCI card in the
lite5200.

My previous embedded Linux design used a SC520 and all this stuff just
worked. Having to learn about more than device drivers this time:)

Thanks for any help,

Andrew