8xx-2.6 | Prolog

Pantelis Antoniou panto at intracom.gr
Fri May 28 16:40:08 EST 2004

Dan Malek wrote:

> On May 26, 2004, at 8:05 AM, Pantelis Antoniou wrote:
>
>> Awaiting comments.
>

> The interrupt stuff in patch 1 was wrong when it was done in 2.4
> and I'm disappointed to see it again in 2.6.  Unfortunately, I
> don't have time to fix it now, but it will get done properly when I
> implement the similar thing for the 8560.

Well, I had to do something. request_8xxirq & friends are unusable.

> In patch 4, get rid of that #if 0 around the machine check exception.
> If the code works, just check it in.  We can't define update_mmu_cache
> as a null function.  It performs a necessary function of cache
> management.  We may just be lucky because the caches on the 8xx
> are small, but this is a subtle bug waiting to happen.

OK for the #if 0.
I don't know what update_mmu_cache really does that screws up so bad.
Didn't really had to look into the matter.

> Why did you need to include patch 5 and 6?  These should have
> been done and checked into the trees long ago.

For completeness. So that with the patches in it would at least compile.

> In patch 8, why is the 8xx FEC driver dependent upon NETTA and
> NETPHONE?  All 8xx boards should use this driver, and it would have
> been nice if you would have done board specific files for all other
> 8xx boards that are supported, even if they couldn't be tested.  The
> price of making such major changes that affect everyone :-)

Well, as I explained to Tom, that was intentional :).

How many of the boards in the kernel are working,
or have someone working on them?

IMHO it's time to clean up the mess a bit.

> I did not check these in.  Tom can you do so and make sure other
> 8xx boards will at least compile?  I'll fix up the stuff I don't like
> later :-)
>
> Thanks.
>
>     -- Dan

Regards