Serial port text corruption

VanBaren, Gerald (AGRE) Gerald.VanBaren at smiths-aerospace.com
Tue May 18 22:31:50 EST 2004

I would look at the SMC1 buffering and handling of caches (either snooping, not caching the buffers, or flushing before transmitting).

Another possiblility is sending data that is stored on the stack in a subroutine which subsequently returns before the data is actually transmitted -- when you are lucky, the data hasn't changed when the Tx occurs, when you are unlucky, a call sequence has overwritten the string on the stack.  Since this is (presumably) standard linux and that sort of a problem would have been found and fixed loooong ago in the linux core code, I would concentrate on your low level code.

Just to eliminate variables, you should hook a logic analyzer or 'scope to the board's Tx line and verify the baud rate hasn't changed when you get the garbage characters.  If the baud rate has changed, it will be a clocking problem.

gvb