problems with NFS root for ADS860

m.venkatraj at exgate.tek.com m.venkatraj at exgate.tek.com
Thu Mar 11 17:03:18 EST 2004

Hello,

I am trying to mount Root FS via NFS on a ADS860 board.

Here is the configuration I am using:

- gcc-3.3.1, glibc-2.3.2
- u-boot-1.0.1, built for ADS860 config.
- Linux-2.4.22 with NFS-root option selected. (standard kernel, not ELDK)
- An x86 box is configured as the BOOTP and NFS server. The root file system
folder is entered in the /etc/exports, and I have also made an entry in
/etc/hosts/allow

When the kernel tries NFS mount of the root file system, error 101 results,
followed by a message
"Please append a correct "root=" boot option
Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 02:00".

I verified with various sources on the net that the bootargs that I was
passing was in the correct format. Google led me to a lot of posts with the
same problem, but no leads.. Since I am relatively new around here, looking
up the kernel sources for the error 101 didn't lead me anywheer

Relevant portions of the monitor trace are attached:
Could you please guide me as to what is wrong, or am I missing something?
The same NFS server serves a 405GP walnut board that a colleaue is working
on, and there it loads just fine. That rules out NFS server configuration
errors, I think..

Just to add: I am able to mount RAMDISK root file system.

Any pointers to getting out of this muddle will be tremendously helpful..

Best regards
Venkat