GT64260_eth (Ethernet) Driver

Dieu Morales dieumorales at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 21 06:27:19 EST 2004

Greetings, I am working with the latest 2.6.7 kernel
source on a ppc radstone PPC7A board and was curious
if anyone was in the process or planned on porting the
gt64260_eth driver to support the 2.6.x kernel.

Not being familiar with the gt64260 Ethernet device or
code, I plan to take it line by line. I have attempted
to use the driver from the ppc.bkbits.net 2.4
development tree and currently have only changed the
dev = init_etherdev(dev, sizeof (gt_eth_priv));
dev = alloc_etherdev(sizeof (gt_eth_priv_struct ));
Shortly after, when attempting to allocate the Tx and
Rx page buffers, I get an exception in the
uncachedPages function.  I have traced the problem to
the pmd_presentò(*pmd) function in va_to_pte(addr)
returning 0.  I dumped the values of pmd, init_mm, and
pmd in the va_to_pte() and the values seemed O.K., so
I commented out the pmd_presentò(*pmd) check but was
once again stopped by the pte_present(*pte) check.  I
have seen the driver operate under 2.4.26 dev tree
from ppc.bkbits.net where this problem does not occur.
One difference I have noticed is that during
initialization of the 2.6.7 kernel, I do not get the
following output.
Buffer-cache hash table entries:
Page-cache hash table entries:
The filemap.c, where the "Page-cache " printk resides
in 2.4, looks heavily reworked, so I don't suspect
this is an issue?