static buffer for device driver?

jhfami at teramail.com jhfami at teramail.com
Mon Jun 14 16:47:38 EST 2004

Hi,

I am wondering why most of device drivers like (uart.c, enet.c) does not
use static buffer ( which defined as array with definite size in source
code) . Those drivers use kmalloc, get_free_page functions to allocate
buffer instead of using static buffer.
Actually I have attempt to use static buffer. But virt_to_phys functions
didn't work properly. returned physical address was out of physical
address range. The address was just (virt. addr - 0xC0000000).

Some one explain those things to me, pleeease. ;)

Thanks in advance.

--
Hojin

jhfami at yahoo.co.kr