Linux is not reliable enough?

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Mon Jul 26 02:23:26 EST 2004

In message <wn5pt6mw1jc.fsf at linhd-2.ca.nortel.com> you wrote:

> Well, X server doesn't run in the same vm space as the
> kernel. however, on my PC, X is the thing that would most likely to
> put the system into an unusable state (frozen keyboard, mouse and
> screen).

This just means that X is crashed. I'm  pretty  sure  the  system  is
stillr  unning  fine, and you can for example login over the network.
This example has lttle relevance to embedded system.

> QNX's drivers run in their own process space but they still have
> direct access to the hardware. A driver can screw up the hw regardless
> whatever vm-sandbox in which it run.

Indeed.

Best regards,

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
Dear Lord: I just want *one* one-armed manager so  I  never  have  to
hear "On the other hand", again.