Linux is not reliable enough?

Der Herr Hofrat der.herr at hofr.at
Sat Jul 24 16:29:56 EST 2004

> Well, X server doesn't run in the same vm space as the
> kernel. however, on my PC, X is the thing that would most likely to
> put the system into an unusable state (frozen keyboard, mouse and
> screen).

in prinzipal that is the way it should be but this is not quite true
as X utilizes user-space (SUID-ROOT) drivers quite a lot - so even though
X is in its on VM it is fiddling with low level resources that are normally
under kernel control (i.e. sti/cli). So this is actually the
same problem in Linux as you noted for QNX.

hofrat