list of 2.6-related migration issues for embedded programmers?

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Jul 20 23:42:16 EST 2004

In message <wn5vfgi9arw.fsf at linhd-2.ca.nortel.com> you wrote:

> But you don't have to. What ever you can do with the good-old initrd
> image you can do with the new initramfs (really cpio archive)
> image. The main difference is the creation: genext2fs vs cpio.

How do I populate a  initramfs  with  custom  device  nodes?  Without
having root permission, I mean.

And how can I tell a Linux kernel where to find  the  initramfs  data
when they are not linked together?

> I just happen to use zImage.initrd (where ramdisk.image.gz is a cpio
> archive) in our project because it's the most appropriate for our
> situation.

That's OK. Other projects may have different requirements, though.

Best regards,

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
You cannot propel yourself forward by patting yourself on the back.