Context Switch in Real Time Linux Vs VxWorks (or any other RTOS)

Kevin P. Dankwardt k at kcomputing.com
Fri Jul 16 22:12:59 EST 2004

There are a number of approaches to real-time in Linux. There are also
several different task/thread/process models from which to choose. Some
involve kernel space and some allow for user space. Some are open source and
some are proprietary. One has to decide on a number of factors before
choosing the solution best suited.

If you are comfortable with the flat memory model of VxWorks then a kernel
space solution may be acceptable. Kernel space solutions such as RTAI have
quite low "context switch" and quite fast interrupt response time.

For more information I'd recommend starting by reading (my) articles from
Embedded Linux Journal:

Best of luck,
Kevin Dankwardt