Why not kmalloc() ??

Rupesh S rupeshs at myw.ltindia.com
Fri Jul 16 19:25:34 EST 2004

Hi,

I just figured out that I need to use m8xx_cpm_hostalloc() to allocate memory for "buffer" that needs to be attached to the "Buffer Descriptor" of an  MPC8xx CPM peripheral (like IIC, SPI, SCC etc). Instead, if I try to use kmalloc() or a static memory allocation, my driver isn't working.

1) Can somebody throw some light on what exactly is the difference between m8xx_cpm_hostalloc() and kmalloc().
2) Why is the difference important in ppc linux ?

Thanks
--
Rupesh S