Your valuable Suggestions / Advise for Beginners in Device Dr iver Development under Embedded Linux P

Dixon, Myron @ GNS Myron.Dixon at L-3com.com
Mon Jul 12 23:39:24 EST 2004

Approximately 1.5 years ago I found myself in a similar
situation as you.  So, I'm no guru, but I've learned work with
the tool chain and build device drivers for our custom hardware
using a 2.4.18 kernel on an 8260 custom board.

I would first of all recommend two books that you should read to
answer some of your basic questions. Both are available for
review at www.oreilly.com.

First, is Building Embedded Linux Systems by Karim Yaghmour. It covers
how to build your tool chain through getting Linux running on
your target for multiple processor architectures.  Excellent resource.

The second is Linux Device Drivers by Alessandro Rubin and
Jonathan Corbet.  This is another great source dedicated to device
driver development in a linux environment.  The one draw back about
this one is the latest edition (that I have- 2nd) is limited to 2.4
kernels.  You mention RTOSs so, I'm assuming you'd be looking into
2.6 kernels.

That's pretty much all I have to offer, maybe some of the real gurus can
assist you with some of the tougher questions you have

Myron