rpm for embedded system

Stephen Williams 612dlag102 at sneakemail.com
Thu Jul 8 08:08:06 EST 2004

Wolfgang Grandegger wolfgang.grandegger-at-bluewin.ch |PPC Linux
Embedded| wrote:

>>Almost. That is instructions for remaking the ELDK packages
>>from the src.rpms. But I want to take the existing binary
>>rpms and install them on my owh root. This does *not* work:
>>
>>   ppc_4xx-rpm --root=/mnt/flash foo.ppc.rpm
>>
>>I want to do something like that with the packages, so that
>>I can install individual existing ppc.rpm packages from the
>>ELDK disk onyl by flash card.
>

> Hm, have a look to the ELDK CDROM, especially check the ".list" files in
> /mnt/cdrom/etc. They actually define the packages to be installed. You
> might copy parts of the tree to disk and tailor the list files according
> to your needs. Then you should be able to install the RPM packages with
> the "install" utility as usual. Nevertheless, a root file system built
> this way is very large, too large for most embedded systems.

Indeed, I really only want 3 or 4 rpms (glibc, e2fsprogs, maybe
a few others) and a few rpms of my own.

It would be ideal to be able to do something like:

    rpm --root=/mnt/flash --initdb
    rpm --root=/mnt/flash -ivh glibc-common-X.ppc.rpm
    rpm --root=/mnt/flash -ivh e2fsprogs-X.ppc.rpm
    rpm --root=/mnt/flash -ivh my-jse-initscripts-X.ppc.rpm

and so on. (As an aside, I may be wanting to allow for
running rpm on the target device itself to update in the
field. Getting fancy, eh?)

steve at XXXXXXXXXX           But I have promises to keep,
http://www.XXXXXXXXXX         and lines to code before I sleep,